Monday, May 30, 2016

AECOM

In December 2015 I applied for a multimedia designer position at their Groton location (a ninety minute drive), and was invited in for an interview. I met with three people including the hiring manager, the current designer and an HR rep. Not long after the interview began, the hiring manager proceeded to tell me not to feel bad if I don't get hired for this role because they'll most likely be hiring again in the summer. I thought it was quite strange to be told such a disheartening comment at this stage. He then pointed out that this is a contract role which may or may not get funding for more than six months or a year. The designer then pulled out and read from a list of standard questions, one of which included the severely stupid "where do you see yourself in five years?" Considering that they just told me this job is not guaranteed to last more than a year and that no job today is guaranteed to last more than six months, I wanted to say out loud, "Really???" Instead, I attempted to answer a little more diplomatically by pointing out that we are now in a gig economy and I don't think ANYONE can answer this question today, ending it with "I hope to be healthy and happy." At the end of the interview the designer told me she knows a designer who just quit at such-and-such company down the road so they definitely have an opening and I should check it out. Again, why are you telling me to go apply to another company if you're considering me for this job? Unless, of course, you're not considering me at all, this job is completely FAKE, it's been filled already and you only brought me in to check off an EEOC box...

True to their word, I saw the exact same job being advertised in May 2016. No doubt they've picked their candidate and they are going to waste the time of a few applicants as they did mine. Very sad. 

No comments: