Monday, May 30, 2016

Zerto Via Tandem Recruiting Group

Yet another fine example of what I've encountered with every single "recruitment agency" I've had to deal with these past two years. In July 2014 I applied for a design job that was advertised through Tandem Recruiting Group. The client was Zerto. I chatted with the recruiter on the phone, and she picked up on my “negative energy” (as I was well past the point where I knew my career was over, my house had been sold and I was completing my TEFL certificate…I suppose the only reason I applied was because I foolishly held out a slight glimmer of hope that my career and my life in America could go on). She went into lecture mode with me saying that I’m not getting hired because of my “bad attitude.” I snapped that I am not getting enough interviews in order for any attitude to be conveyed, so her “observation” is invalid. She said, “Well, I am going to work on that! I’m going to get you this interview!” One week later, she called me to excitedly tell me that my resume is in front of the person in charge of filling this role, but that person is going on vacation. So, just be patient! I never heard back.

On September 15 I saw a design job posted on Indeed (why do I continue applying? as a joke, I guess). I did not recognize the description nor the recruitment firm (at this point, they all look the same), so I applied. It turned out to be this same recruitment agency, and this same job. The same recruiter emailed me immediately, “They went thru a round of interviews and they are opening it up again. I sent in your resume again and will get back to you as soon as I hear from them.”

Now, wait a minute...they already have my resume. Why does she need to send it in again? Furthermore, I was disqualified from even having an interview during that first round (even though I certainly am qualified for the job...clearly they were disqualifying based on other factors), and apparently nobody passed the interview test…just who or what ARE they looking for?

I emailed back, “My apologies, I did not recognize that this was the same position I had previously applied for. Please disregard my email.” The next day, I received another email, “Can you please provide your portfolio information so that I can send it along to Zerto. The new Marketing Director wants to see it and hopefully will want to speak with you ASAP! I know she is anxious to hire for this role immediately.” Oh, brother. Never mind that she ignored my request to disregard my email, but my portfolio link is right there at the top of my bleeping resume. But, hold on here, didn’t they already look at my portfolio, which led to my being rejected the first time around? Are you saying that this crucial piece of my background was never reviewed to begin with? (They couldn’t possibly be THAT anxious to fill this role, as they’ve been dilly-dallying since July...)

I replied to the email with the link, and never heard from her again.

It's a good thing I'm leaving, because things are going to get a lot worse in this country before they get better. 

No comments: