Monday, May 30, 2016

SimpleTuition

This experience was when I first realized there was something very strange going on with the job market. In May 2013, I applied for a Lead Graphic Designer job they advertised. Of course, I never received any response (not even a rejection email). Three months later, on August 8, they posted the same job. Again, I applied. Again, I was ignored.

Two weeks later, on August 21, I received an email from a recruiter (I should make this a drinking game, take a swig of vodka every time I mention “recruiter”): "I noticed your resume on Monster.com and wanted to get in touch. I’m working on a full-time Lead Graphic Designer role in Downtown Boston. Your background seems like a good match. Below is a job description..."

I didn’t recognize the job description, so we scheduled a call, during which time he revealed the company was SimpleTuition. I confessed that I already applied for this job twice but they did not show an interest in me. To say that he was shocked and a wee bit embarrassed is an understatement. "Really???? But I think you’d be perfect!" This made me giggle. Because I had already applied, he could not submit me for the job, and we ended the call.

Two months later, on October 7, I received an email from another recruiter from the same agency, "I want to follow up on my voicemail from today. I am working on a full-time Lead Graphic Designer role in Boston. After reviewing your resume online, I think you could be a fit.”

I immediately recognized the job and responded with "Thank you for contacting me. Unfortunately, I recognize this job description as being from SimpleTuition; I applied for this when they listed it on LinkedIn back on August 8, but they weren’t interested (I’m guessing they think I’m too old for the job)."

I didn’t even receive a response this time (guess he didn’t know what to say about the age thing, hee hee). I swore that the next time they posted this job that I was going to send a letter to the HR department demanding that they warn their recruiters to NOT contact me since I am so vastly unqualified for the job (hey, only 17 years of experience, SMH).

No comments: