Monday, May 30, 2016

Pegasystems

In April 2014 I received the following email from a recruiter…"I came across your resume and trust that your knowledge, skills and experience will be among our client’s most valuable assets. We are currently looking for a Sr. Graphic Designer with Pegasystems in Cambridge, MA. Please see job description below for this position. I strongly believe that you are a great fit for this job, so if you’re interested, you can reach me at..."

We went through the usual song and dance. He thinks my background is perfect but the salary was extremely low, especially for a senior designer (as with most jobs today, it paid a salary closer to what I was earning 14 years ago). I also thought it was odd that, for a senior designer, the years of work experience required in the job description was a mere “3 to 5 years,” which makes no sense. He said he’d submit me and try to get a slightly higher rate.

One week later I received an email from ANOTHER recruitment agency about the same job. So I emailed recruiter #1, "I wanted to follow up with you on the job below to find out what happened. I just got an email from another recruiter with the exact same job which reminded me about this. I’m assuming they rejected me so I’d like to get some feedback as to what was lacking in my background." I got a brief response saying he had not heard anything and will keep me informed.

Lo' and behold, what should appear in my Indeed job search before the end of the day but the same job posted publicly, so now they can enjoy being bombarded with thousands of resumes (rather than risk giving an old woman like me any consideration). Only now they’ve changed the “years of experience required” to something a bit more realistic (5 to 7 years).

Of course, I chose not to pursue it any further. Stupidity (or madness) is continuing to do the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Ah, but the story doesn’t end there. Nearly two months later (end of June) I received an email from a THIRD recruiter for the SAME JOB. So, what we now know is that (a) this job has gone unfilled for nearly two months, and (b) the person in charge of hiring is an idiot. I emailed recruiter #1 asking what’s going on; all he could offer was, "the fact that you are being contacted by other recruiters and that this position is still open tells me one thing...The manager can’t make up their mind.”

Logic would dictate that if this person doesn’t know what he wants to hire, then he has no business being in charge of hiring. But we don’t live in a logical world anymore.

That September, I received an email from a fourth recruiter for the exact same job. Lather, rinse, repeat...

No comments: