Monday, May 30, 2016

Siemens

I lost track of how many of my applications to this place have gone ignored, including those via recruiters who thought I was "the perfect candidate." I'd laugh whenever I would get this now-standard email (this one is from September 2014):


And here's a version from November 2014 -- hey, at least they attempt to make it "look" different with the formatting:


Fast forward to June 2015 when I began receiving this nonsense in my mail folder again. Fed up, I went to the Siemens “Contact Us” page and sent them a message demanding that they tell all their recruitment agencies to remove my name from their list. I received a reply from their “Manager of Talent Acquisition” asking for further information so he could better understand the situation. Here’s what I said to him:
I have attached a PDF of the few emails I still have (only five, which includes the latest -- I had deleted all the rest). I had applied to many of these in the beginning (note the one where I included my response to the recruiter at APN, pointing out I was already submitted once so why bother again), and not once did I earn even a simple telephone screening from whoever was in charge of hiring. In a subsequent phone conversation the recruiter admitted to being equally baffled as to why Siemens showed zero interest in my application (I recall one of the requirements of that job was knowledge of 3D video, and I am proficient in 3D modeling/animation). I find these emails to be not just a nuisance, but downright cruel. It was during this period that I fell out of the American middle class, eventually losing my home and having to move into my mother’s basement. Needless to say, receiving this latest email hit a nerve. I am preparing to move to China in an attempt to rebuild my career and my life, and the last thing I want is to be reminded of how I was treated as an unemployed job seeker over the past few years. If there is any way to communicate to your recruitment network to stop sending me these emails, then perhaps I can finally put these dark years behind me and move on once and for all.

His response:
All I can say are that these are from third parties. We have a national contract with Ranstad for all contract labor in the U.S. they undoubtedly sub contract with 100’s of other agencies.  So for these roles we would open a requisition with Ranstad and they will send it out to their network for submittals. How or if Ranstad prescreens before sending to us I do not know.  I do not have access to see who or what would have been submitted to us from them but in many cases it could be a good number of profiles. I have recruited directly for the Norwood site and manage a good deal of our full time hiring across the U.S. and I know in the Boston market there are a large number of qualified graphic designers including many with direct experience in medical instrumentation and devices. So I know the manager is receiving numerous submissions.  In my career I have also worked on the agency side both contract and perm and I know it can be a frustrating business.  My suggestion is you send the recruiting firms a note to remove you from their data bases and remove yourself any notifications you may have set up on job search sites etc.  If you would like to talk further I would be willing to provide some additional guidance.

So, basically, this guy in charge of recruitment has NO CLUE who’s recruiting for his company. Isn't that just swell? And, if “there are a large number of qualified graphic designers including many with direct experience in medical instrumentation and devices,” then why the need to advertise or use a recruiter at all? Shouldn't these people be in their network to contact whenever the need arises? You know, that network we're always hearing about that's soooooooo important to have? Oh, right, because there is no networking in the decrepit state of Stinkassachusetts.

No comments: