Monday, May 30, 2016

Wealth Management Systems, Inc. (WMSI)

I applied for a graphic designer job here in May 2014 and was quite surprised to be invited in for an interview. As there was no initial pointless telephone screening, I had high hopes that this would be a positive experience. I came in and met with the woman in charge of hiring for the role, and she explained what this company does, i.e., financial software, so it’s more based in the tech sector rather than financial. I took the chance to explain that in my recent contract with Fidelity I was in the IT/technical arena (as opposed to financial), thinking this would be a very good parallel to point out. She immediately cut me off, and with a harsh firm voice began to lecture me, saying, “I need to be clear that this is a *conceptual* design role and if you’re not comfortable with that then this is not going to be a good match.” And I thought, WTF? What does this even have to do with what I just said? Why is she getting nasty with me? As I look back on this, it’s pretty clear she just didn’t like me from the start (was I too old?) and wanted to find an easy exit to this interview.

I then met with some guy who (a) was not very friendly, (b) didn’t seem interested at all, and (c) was downright rude to me when I said I’d love to see a demo of their software – he annoyingly responded with “what do you mean? It’s right there on our website.” Um, no, dude, it’s not, but whatever. Then, of course, he had to ask the all-important question of what are my salary requirements.

The whole thing finally ended, I sent my thank-you emails but knew I wouldn’t be hearing back from them. And, as is now standard in American hiring, I did not even receive a rejection email.

No comments: