Monday, May 30, 2016

Hasbro (and Utilidata)

I’ve applied to Hasbro multiple times over the years for naught. One day in the summer of 2014, after I had accepted that my career in America was over and I was preparing for my new teaching-overseas life, a recruiter (can't recall which one) contacted me about a job at Utilidata in Providence. It was the usual song/dance, which begins with “We’ve got a design job that I think is a great fit for your background," and ends with me getting rejected by his client for “reasons unknown.” After discussing the job, he asked how my search has been going, and I flat out told him because I’m over 45 and haven’t worked since October I’ve become unemployable and “I can guarantee you that Utilidata will not even grant me an interview due to my age.” He said, “Yeah, unfortunately, that’s what most employers are doing now, they have their pick of whom they can hire.” The company Hasbro came up, he said how he's been working with a lot of former designers, mostly older/experienced folks, who were laid off the previous year by Hasbro who has been getting rid of all their "older" workers, replacing them with young cheaper kids.
Wayne Charness, Spokesperson for Hasbro, said the layoffs will take place over the next couple of months. He said the company is simply adjusting the business strategy in line "with certain markets that are declining.” He said business is “fundamentally good,” and that the company’s “strategy is sound.”
So, “business is ‘fundamentally good’”…they are “simply adjusting” their strategy. Okilly-dokilly.

Rhode Island’s toy making giant, Hasbro, has laid off over 50 employees this year in Rhode Island as part of a larger workforce reduction that comes on the heels of the RI EDC approval of a $1.6 million tax credit from the state. Furthermore, CEO, Brian Goldner signed a new 5-year contract, making him one of the highest paid executives in the world, with a pay package exceeding $26 million in 2012 alone. 
Fret not, my fellow peasants, I’m confident that Mr. Goldner’s $26,000,000 annual compensation will trickle down to those who were laid off.

I do wish that when Hasbro advertises a job they would be honest and tell us the age cutoff for applying to this company. I’d really like to know what IS the new age cutoff these days…35? 30? Just how much experience is TOO MUCH to pay for these days?

So, there ya have it, folks, Hasbro discriminates. Oh, and so does Utilidata, true to my prediction they didn’t even want to talk to me over the phone.

No comments: