Monday, May 30, 2016

Nvidia

Nvidia advertised the same senior graphics designer position many many times over the past two years. I applied to three of these separately posted (but identical) jobs on their website back in 2015. In February 2016 they *again* advertised this same job, this time as a direct apply on LinkedIn. Note the whopping number of applicants at 179 (the unemployment rate at the time was being reported as 5%; is it normal for a job to receive so many applicants during times of "full employment?").


After seeing it appear yet again on their website, I decided to send them a little note via email:

I am writing in response to the Senior Graphic Designer position you have been advertising for the past eight months.

I applied for this role last July and again in December. I am a senior-level designer with 18 years of experience, and I meet every single qualification listed in the job description, including the 3D requirement. Strangely, you did not find me worthy of so much as a telephone screening. Today, EIGHT MONTHS LATER, I see that you are still advertising this position (albeit under a different "job number").

Clearly, you are having issues in finding the "perfect candidate" for this role. Eight months is more than enough time to find a qualified candidate in a job market where designers are a dime a dozen. I'd like to know what are the true qualification requirements for this job. Unless I hear otherwise from you, I will conclude you are following the well-known practice established by Silicon Valley of disqualifying applicants based on age; it's been reported that the average age at NVIDIA is 32, and I am well past that age.
Either that, or this job is completely fake. If it is, be warned, people are taking notice of jobs that appear ad nauseam across the various job boards for months and months.

Here's the splendid response I received from their HR dimwit:
Thank you for your email dated March 31.  I looked into this further with the recruiter.
 The first Senior Graphics Designer position requisition opened in July 2015.  A second Senior Graphics Designer position requisition opened in November 2015.  Both requisitions had different hiring managers.  The first requisition was eventually filled in November 2015.  Then, another need for a Senior Graphics Designer for another team came up during November 2015; hence, the second position requisition was opened for that team.
 Neither requisition currently supports relocation to Santa Clara, CA or financially supports travel for on-site interviews.  Therefore, the recruiter did not review out of state resumes, which included your resume.  At this time, NVIDIA has no interest in moving forward with a phone screen or interview with you given the current position does not currently support relocation.
 In the future, if you find a new position requisition that supports relocation and is in line with your skills, please feel free to apply for the position.
 Thank you,
Stephanie Luck, Human Resources Director  

Hmmmm...my cover letter explicitly states "I am available to relocate immediately and without requiring any relocation assistance" (my father lives in Oregon, hence it would not be too difficult of a move for me). You also do not need a special work permit or visa to move from one state to another within the USA -- you don't even need a passport!

Thanks, Ms. Luck, for letting us all know that hiring managers at Nvidia do not read cover letters.