Monday, May 30, 2016

Tufts University

Tufts advertised for a graphic designer in October 2014. Here's what I encountered in their online application:



Let's see...I'm unemployed, plus I had to have some surgery. Do you want details of the surgery, which was to remove two fibroid tumors that were pushing on my bladder causing me painful frequent urination? Should I include the size in centimeters of those tumors (8cm and 5cm)? Should I include the frequency of my peeing? Do you want the pictures of the surgery (which I have)? 

I will paste what I already said about this invasiveness from another post. If there’s a “gap” on my resume, it means I did something that is of no relevance to my career or to the job for which I am applying. And what I did during that gap is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. I really would like to know where people come off thinking they can be this intrusive into our lives in this age. If I chose to take a year off for whatever reason, be it to climb Mt. Everest or to take care of a sick parent or learn how to fucking play chess, that’s MY business and NOT YOURS. I do not exist on this planet exclusively to fulfill a line item work history entry on a corporate ATS. Deal with it. And, if all you care about is the one year I didn’t work versus the twenty years that I did work, then you can go fuck yourself right off a cliff.

I sent a little email to their EEOC office. Of course, I received no response. I don't know why I expected an institute of higher learning to be any less sleazy than corporate America. I really don't.

No comments: