Monday, May 30, 2016

Axis Communications

My experience with this company wasn’t all that exceptional, but as it was an incredibly illustrative example of what I experienced so many times as a job hunter, I’ve decided to include the story here. I applied for a graphic design position advertised in April 2014 and had a telephone interview with their HR rep. She was the typical HR rep I've been encountering since I began looking for work in 2013 -- an inexperienced, giggly, twentysomething girl. She did not ask me a single question in relation to my design experience or anything design-related, but rather read off a number of generic pointless questions from a checklist (questions more suitable for a management or administrative role). I tried my best to answer these questions (and I truly do not understand what companies expect to get out of these useless phone interviews), and she ended with telling me the next step would be a face-to-face interview. After the call I emailed her the standard thank-you, to which she did not respond. I received her rejection email two weeks later. As I was fully qualified for this position (I have 17 years of experience) I would really like to know what exactly was the criteria they used to disqualify me from even having a real interview.

No comments: