Monday, May 30, 2016

Wolters Kluwer

In July 2013 I applied for a design position here and was granted a phone interview with the creative services manager. Two things stand out about my encounter with this man. The first red flag that this guy was no good was when he asked me to provide an explanation as to why I applied for the job. Seriously, this is a dumb question to ask a job applicant. When your toilet backs up and the plumber you called arrives, do you stop him at the door and say, "Before you enter my house, I want you to tell me why you want to fix my toilet"...?

I answered that I’ve been on contract jobs for quite some time and want to find a permanent job. His response was to ask me, “Why is that?”

WHY IS THAT? What kind of stupid question is that? Why do I want a job? Are you kidding me? I still often wonder what would have been the CORRECT response to this massively stupid question.

The second red flag was when I attempted to sell myself based on my portfolio, as there were a few specific pieces I was going to explain. When I asked “did you view my portfolio” (never expecting a “no” answer), he replied, “uh, no, actually, I didn’t.”

I should’ve just hung up the phone right there.

No comments: