Monday, May 30, 2016

Amazon Via Aerotek

I’m just going to share my Yelp review of Aerotek:

As an unemployed graphic designer who has hit upon some very hard times, I swallowed my pride and applied for a typing job they advertised last week. Previous to my design career, I worked in office admin during/after college; my total work history encompasses 27 years, and I type 130wpm (I typed 80wpm on a manual Underwood in high school). I'd like to take this moment to point out that my very first job with no work experience, no degree and no references was as a typist back in 1986 (after my first year of college), earning $5/hour. Adjusted for inflation today, that translates to $10.71 today.

I had previously met with someone in the Westford office, which was a waste of time and downright offensive. I met with some kid half my age and the meeting ended on the negative observation that in order to proceed I'd need three references from my admin work of 20+ years ago ("You can't just call them?" Um, no, kid, I cannot just call someone I worked for twenty years ago; in fact, my boss from that job is dead.) I tried my best to I explain that my references attest to my design background of the last 17 years, but he just didn't get it. Of course, I never heard from that office again.

Back to the typist job I applied for...I got a call from a girl I'm assuming was also half my age, she explained that this job pays $12/hour. I've had my own personal struggle dealing with these embarrassingly low salaries that are more in line with what I earned 25 years ago, but I wasn't going to take it out on her. But then she said, "Oh, you didn't give us those three references. Can you send those over?" Once again, I tried to explain my situation, that I have references for my design career. She then asked if they could attest to my typing skills. I said no, and the call ended. I then got an email from her stating, "I will check in with my partner and let you know what he thinks about moving forward." I replied back, attaching a PDF of my actual performance reviews from one of those old jobs (including the letter written to the CEO of the company begging him to make an exception to their wage freeze to give me a raise due to my exceptional performance). I got NO response to this email. (Does anyone else have the urge to barf at this point from reading this?)

So, there you have it, folks. I am officially unqualified for a typing job with a salary circa 1986, even though I've been a member of the workforce for 27 years and I type 130wpm. Shame on you, Aerotek -- and you, too, Corporate America!!! When the majority of us have been relegated to a Reagan Administration salary and nobody can purchase your crap just watch this country collapse to Third World banana republic status. And when that happens, don't forget to say YOU BUILT THAT!

No comments: