Monday, May 30, 2016

Waters Corporation

Another fine example of recruitment failure in the 21st century...they advertised for a graphic designer and I applied directly on their website. One week later the job appeared on Creative Hotlist (it also appeared on LinkedIn -- gee, did they not get bombarded with enough resumes by now?). I went ahead and applied again on Creative Hotlist, hoping to get someone to actually view my resume. Here’s the “helpful” email I received in response:



Translation: “Here’s a link, now quit bothering me and go away.”

Okay. Let me try just one more time to get this guy's attention. I emailed back, thanking him for his response, and further stating that I worked on many presentations for Waters while at my previous employer (a design agency) some years back, of whom Waters was a client.

I received no response to that email. But I did receive their rejection email two weeks later.

Is this seriously what passes for “recruiting” these days? I remember 20 years ago when a hiring professional would actually do their job and take the time to learn about a candidate to determine if they would be a good match for an opening; saying that one has worked with the hiring company in the past would have automatically generated some level of interest. According to the LinkedIn posting, they received 65 applicants from that source alone (who knows how many applied via Creative Hotlist). How many of those 65 applicants could say they worked on Waters design projects in the past as I have? Instead, this recruiter couldn't even be bothered to see if I had already submitted an application. Pathetic. 

No comments: